Here’s some basic information about NVCWDA dances. Note: We don’t allow smoking or drinking alcohol at our dances.
We usually hold dances on the first and third Saturdays of the month as listed under Events. We also hold special dances such as our Benefit Dance and New Year’s Eve Dance.
- Members of NVCWDA: $10.00.
- Non-members: $12.00.
- Children under 18, with paying adult: $5.00.
- Regular admission rates listed above do not apply to our Benefit Dance or New Year’s Eve Dance.
Pay at the door by cash or check.
Lincolnia Center in Alexandria is our primary location for all regular dances. On those Saturdays when Lincolnia is closed, we usually dance at Accotink Unitarian Universalist Church in Burke. We need to use spaces in the community for our dances, so if you know of a good location, please let us know.
- Lincolnia Senior Center
4710 North Chambliss Street
- Accotink Unitarian Universalist Church
10125 Lakehaven Ct
Timeline at Lincolnia
- 5:00 p.m. – Set up.
- 5:30 p.m. – Doors open.
- 6:00-7:00 p.m. – Lessons, usually a line dance and a couples dance.
- 8:30 p.m. – Announcements and door prize drawing.
- 7:00-9:30 p.m. – Open dancing.
- 9:30 p.m. – Take down and clean up.
Timeline at Accotink Unitarian Universalist Church
- 5:30 p.m. – Set up.
- 6:00 p.m. – Doors open.
- 6:30-7:30 p.m. – Lessons, usually a line dance and a couples dance.
- 9:00 p.m. – Announcements and door prize drawing.
- 7:30-10:00 p.m. – Open dancing.
- 10:00 p.m. – Take down and clean up.
Instructors and DJs
Our instructors are volunteers. Some are award-winning dance competitors. We have 3-4 regular DJs. The DJ usually has a request sheet so that people can ask for their favorite dances or songs.
During open dancing, usually the DJ will call which dance is appropriate for each song, for example, a two-step, waltz, or certain line dance. The DJ will count us in so that everyone begins on the correct beat. Even if a couples dance is called, people still can line dance in the middle of the floor. The opposite is true also – if a line dance is called, people can still dance around the outside of the floor. Sometimes we’ll have several line dances and couples dances going on at one time. As long as everyone observes dance floor etiquette, we can accommodate more than one dance to the same song. Please be respectful of others dancing around you and give them space.
We usually provide ice. Feel free to contribute food or non-alcoholic drinks – they will be enjoyed by fellow dancers. Sometimes we have potluck suppers.
Our weather/emergency closure policy follows that of Fairfax County Government offices (Neighborhood and Community Services). If NCS facilities are closed on Saturday evening, our dance is cancelled.